Traditional Tuscan cuisine: Sweet tortelli, a traditional first course of Maremma
When we talk about the typical cuisine of Maremma Tuscany, sweet tortelli come to mind.
Although the name could be misleading, it is a hearty first course consisting of an egg dough to enclose a filling of spinach, sheep ricotta, a drop of rum and a pinch of cinnamon.
Once cooked, the tortelli can be seasoned with butter and sage, meat sauce or with a simple tomato sauce and basil.
History of Maremma sweet tortelli
The Maremma tortelli are a dish of traditional Tuscan cuisine with very ancient origins; in the past they were intended to satiate the members of families with few ingredients such as vegetables, flour and eggs.
Speaking instead of the aesthetic aspect, these specialties are square and yellow, while the filling is composed of grated cheese, salt, sheep ricotta, nutmeg, spinach, nettles or finely chopped beets.
Holidays in Capalbio: where to sleep
To spend a holiday in Capalbio for A-plus, the Hotel Residence Valle del Buttero is the ideal solution, as it is able to combine nature and relaxation.
Every day you can start your day with a rich and delicious breakfast buffet with zero km products or homemade cakes.
Each room, the majority with balcony, is equipped with flat screen TVs and satellite channels, safe, fast Internet access, air conditioning, minibar and hairdryer.
The property’s address is Via Ignazio Silone, 21 Capalbio.
Once you reach your destination, the car can be parked in the free parking.
Activities in Capalbio: discovering the Maremma sweet tortelli
Inside the Hotel Residence Valle del Buttero there is no restaurant, but at the reception are available all the menus of the restaurants in Capalbio based on typical culinary specialties of Tuscany and Maremma; here we list some:
- Trattoria al Pozzo: located in Via Vittorio Emanuele II offering a wide range of homemade fresh pasta, bruschetta and game dishes;
- La Porta: also in Via Vittorio Emanuele II, is located inside a building dating back to the sixteenth century and has a terrace;
- Tullio Restaurant: located in Via Nuova, along the road that leads from the hotel to the historic center, this restaurant with a garden overlooking the sea offers many homemade pasta, mushroom dishes and the famous Tullio Soup; the service is impeccable.
- The Beverello: this place in Piazza della Provvidenza is perfect for those who want to have a quick meal; it is very close to the hotel.
- Trattoria Da Maria: located in Piazza Carlo Giordano, just outside the walls of Capalbio, this restaurant with veranda offers guests an elegant atmosphere and a beautiful view;
- Il Frantoio: restaurant housed in a restored old oil mill, with two large rooms, a library and a small boutique. In summer evenings dinner is served by candlelight and in the garden surrounded by olive trees.
The address is Via Renato Fucini, near the hotel;
- La Torre da Carla: is located in a rustic building of the twentieth century in Via Vittorio Emanuele II, is characterized by wooden ceilings, exposed beams and family atmosphere; the iconic terrace overlooking Piazza Magenta.
- Trattoria Toscana: founded in 1972 in Via IV Novembre, and managed by the Valentini Brothers, experts in Capalbiese cuisine. Excellent homemade pasta.
Vip in Capalbio
Thanks to the very varied territory, Capalbio has the ability to satisfy the tastes of many people.
For example, those who love nature, can take refuge in a country villa totally immersed in the silence of the Tuscan Maremma. Those who prefer comfort instead, the historic city center is the ideal solution, since it offers all the main services.
It is no coincidence that this town has become the favorite destination of several celebrities such as Paolo Bonolis, Barbara d'Urso and Antonella Clerici, who do not miss the opportunity to reach it to relax and enjoy the typical gastronomic delicacies.